This is my all time favourite icing recipe, it is smooth and creamy making it really easy to pipe and did I forget to mention that it is absolutely delicious?
You don't have to stick with chocolate icing, you can leave out the cocoa powder and make whatever flavour you like.
Plain (but tasty) vanilla: Leave out the cocoa powder and add in a tsp of vanilla essence
Chocolate Orange: Add in 2-3 tbsp of orange juice (straight from orange)
Mint: Leave out cocoa powder (unless you want chocolate mint) and add one tsp of mint essence
Coloured Icing: Leave out cocoa powder and add a few drops of the food colouring of your choice. Gel food colouring is better for this because it doesn't change the consistency but liquid food colouring works too.
You will need:
- 350g icing sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 100g margarine
- 50ml milk (you may not use all of this)
- weighing scales
- mixer (you could do this by hand but it is a lot more work)
- spatula/wooden spoon
- piping bag and nozzle (you could just simply spread the icing with a knife)
(see step by step pictures below)
- Cream the margarine for 5 minutes until it has gotten really light in colour. This is key to making a perfect buttercream.
- Add the icing sugar and cocoa powder in stages so that you and your working area don't get covered in a cloud of icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Mix this for a good 4-5 minutes until it is all well incorporated. It will take a few minutes for it to come together but be patient with it.
- Add in a tablespoon of the milk at a time.I do this by eye but to start out and get used to the recipe add it by tablespoons. You want a consistency that is smooth and that can hold itself.
- Fill a piping bag and get piping!
Send me pictures of your recreations:
Google Plus- https://plus.google.com/u/0/111527855108872039736
Comment your thoughts down below!
Step by step pictures:
(numbers by pictures relate to numbers in method)