I tried out this recipe recently in high hopes that it would turn out amazing but I
was slightly disappointed with the outcome. I followed the method for the cupcakes exactly step by step and then used my own chocolate icing recipe. The final product looks great and don't get me wrong they tasted great I just didn't enjoy the method. If your looking for something quick and relatively easy that your not trying to impress crowds with these may be your best shout but, for me I just didn't like them. I have other recipes for chocolate cupcakes that I adore and use all the time that might even be easier than this one but, with all that said I learnt a lot from this "failure". At the end of the day there is no exact science to this, it's all a bit of trial and error.
What I didn't like:
I found the batter to be extremely runny and I had to use a jug to pour it into the cases. Also I didn't like how the margarine was creamed with the sugar, flour and cocoa powder. I usually just cream the margarine with the caster sugar for a few minutes until light and fluffy as this adds air and makes the final product airy and light. Because the batter was so runny the chocolate chips just sank to the bottom of the paper cases as they couldn't hold themselves in the mixture.
Definitely try this recipe for yourself and send me your thoughts and recreations!
*I by no means am trying to dishonour the author of the recipe book I used, I just simply did not enjoy this recipe but I am open to try other recipes from the same book*
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Serves: 12 Difficulty: Requires some effort
You will need:
- 100g self-raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 50g margarine
- 120ml full fat milk (must be full fat)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100g milk chocolate chips (I used chocolate chunks but either will work)
To decorate: I used my own chocolate icing recipe that you can find here
- cupcake tray lined with 12 paper cases
- electric mixer or large bowl and whisk/wooden spoon
- weighing scales
(see step by step pictures below)
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3 and line a 12 hole bun tin with paper cases.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and margarine until the butter is absorbed and starts to look grainy. This can be done by hand or with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together, then add to the flour mix, taking care not to over mix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 paper cases. (I did this using a jug as the mixture was way too runny to spoon out.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 minutes until they spring back when touched or when a skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
Coment your thoughts below
Step by step pictures
(numbers beside pictures relate to numbers in method)